WHOLE ROASTED FISH WITH GREEN TOMATO-CELERY LEAF SALAD
by Andy Teixeira
Newport | Premiering on August 18
We are cruisin‘ from Miami all the way up north to “the City by the Sea” – Newport, Rhode Island – to enjoy the ultimate seafood delicacies from one of our favorite Heritage Fire Chefs, Andy Teixeira of Newport Vineyards. Follow along as he gives us his personal tips and tricks on how to cook the perfect whole roasted fish.
About Chef ANDY TEIXEIRA
- 1 whole fish scaled and gutted
- Enough whole garlic
- bay leaves to stuff cavity
- Black pepper
- Butchers String
- 1 lb Green unripe tomatoes thinly wedged
- ½ lb red ripe tomatoes thinly wedged
- 2 cups celery leaves
- 1 tbs microplaned fresh ginger
- 1 cup sliced shallots
- 1 tbs lemongrass
- ¼ cup minced jalapeños
- Zest and juice of 1 lime
- ¼ cup cilantro chopped
- 2tbs chopped basil
- ¼ cup mirin
- ¼ cup rice vinegar
- 1-2 tbs agave
- 2tbs toasted sesame seeds
- 1 lb unsalted butter
- 8 cloves smashed garlic
- 1 bunch each tarragon
- 1 bunch cilantro for basting
- Score fish on both sides vertically.
- Season literally inside and out with salt and pepper.
- Stuff cavity with garlic and herbs.
- Tie the fish with butcher’s string.
- Oil outside of entire fish and season with salt and pepper.
- Grill over medium heat till internal temperature is 145.
- Baste fish with butter baste while on fire.
For Butter Baste:
- Place all ingredients in a sauce pot and melt.
- Use cilantro bunch as brush to baste.
- Combine all salad ingredients in non-reactive bowl.
- Adjust seasoning to taste.
- Cover and chill till ready to serve. Can be made day before.